Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Drought

Drought

Try to remember: things go wrong in spite of it all.
I listen to our daughters singing in the crackling
rows of corn and wonder why I don’t love them more.
They move like dark birds; small mouths open

to the sky and hungry. All afternoon I listen
to the highway and watch clouds push down over the hills.
I remember your legs, heavy with sleep, lying across mine.
I remember when the world was transparent, trembling, all

shattering light. I had to grit my teeth against its brilliance.
It was nothing like this stillness that makes it difficult
to lift my eyes. When I finally do, I see you
carrying the girls over the sharp stones of the creek bed.

When they pull at my clothes and lean against my arms,
I don’t know what to do and do nothing.

--Felecia Caton-Garcia

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home